2015 is ending and in this post we summarize the sports year. Being a middle-year between 2014 (Winter Olympics + FIFA World Cup) and 2016 (European Football Championships, Summer Olympics and World Cup of Hockey) we have still experienced some great international sports all over the world. The list below is some examples of what we have followed and reported from in 2015:
- In the 2015 IIHF World Hockey Juniors, Canada won the gold by defeating Russia in an exciting final. Slovakia won the bronze when they defeated Sweden.
- France won the men’s handball in Qatar. The tournament was controversial in many ways. Qatar participated with a team that was made up of a mix of players from different nations.
- Norway dominated the Nordic Ski contests. Marit Björgen and Martin Johnsrud Sundby won Tour de Ski. They also performed well in the World Championships in Sweden, Falun. The Swedish favourite, Charlotte Kalla, won three medals (two bronzes, one gold).
- Luleå won the Champions Hockey League and Chicago Blackhawks the NHL.
- The 2015 IIHF World Championships was a great tournament with a lot of stars from the NHL. Canada, Sweden and Russia got a lot of reinforcements from North America. The home team, Czech Republic could once again see Jaromir Jagr in their national team. Canada won the championships by defeating Russia 6-1 in the final.
- Barcelona won the 2014/15 Champions League. They defeated Juventus in the final.
- In the summer we got to experience some nice football: Women’s World Cup in Canada, Copa América, Under-21 men’s European championships and Under-19 women’s European championships. USA won the World Cup, Chile the South American championships at home. Sweden won two golds in the youth contests.
- Swedish swimmer Sarah Sjöström won two golds, two silver (incl, one relay) and one bronze medal in the World Championships in Kazan. She has been awarded the national prizes “Jerringpriset” last year and “Bragdguldet” this year.
- In the IAAF World Championships we got to see a sprint duel between Justin Gatlin and Usain Bolt. The result? 3 rounds to Bolt, 0 to Gatlin. Mo Farah won the gold medals in 5000 m and 1000 m.
- 24 teams have qualified for the 2016 UEFA European Championships in France next summer. Sweden qualified by defeating Denmark in the play offs. Zlatan Ibrahimovic scored 2 goals in the second match.
Now we are looking forward to the supersports year of 2016. We will write a post about the biggest events of next year shortly!